With increasing living costs, there is now a need to supplement the family income to maintain our standards of living. With this in mind, let’s explore the 7 different ways of making some extra income instead, using safe and wholesome ways.
The options to generate a side income may have been more limited many years ago, before the days of technology and the Internet, but no longer so!
2. Are you creatively inclined in terms of creating content, be it writing, designing or being a videographer? Check out Contently for creative jobs.
3. Are you a creative designer? Sign up on 99Designs for freelance design jobs creating logos, packaging, book cover, t-shirt, business cards.
4. Pride yourself on being somewhat brainy? Check out Amazon’s Mechanical Turk Worker and take on HITs. No, that’s not P.Ramlee’s hit singles! HIT stands for Human Intelligence Tasks. Examples of individual tasks range from participating in usability tests of websites or testing video games to transcribing video to insert text anchors or reviewing transcriptions for accuracy. Some tasks even require a Master’s degree qualification. Definitely a clear indicator that freelancing is also being done by the braniacs!
With these options, you could work from home, online and at your own time. The beauty of these options is that you could take on jobs from overseas – and get paid in US$ or Euros. Given the tanking MYR, this definitely works in our favour to maximise our side income! When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, right?
Not keen on sitting behind a computer during your free time? Fret not. More suggestions below:
5. You know about being a driver for Uber or Grab. Heard of goget.my? Sign up there to become a personal runner or be a set of arms and legs and get paid to run someone else’s errands for a fee. Collect their laundry or pick up lunch and get it delivered.
6. Is your family nagging you to get rid of old stuff you no longer want, but is still use-able? De-clutter your home and sell anything from second-hand pre-loved babies or kids stuff to mobile phones, books and many others. Snap a picture of these items and post them using your smartphones on Carousell, Shopee, Lelong or Ebay Malaysia. Ladies, you could make way for new fashion by selling pre-loved fashion on Closetstyles.
7. Have hobbies that you’d like to monetise? There are several communities on Facebook – such as “Jobs for Caring Mums Malaysia – Babysitter, Tutor, Daycare”, “Persatuan Kelab Tukang Jahit Seluruh Malaysia” or “Reach Out” that might be of interest. This is mostly women’s network based on common interests, which also allows for opportunities to generate a side income by pursuing your passion for sewing, tutoring, baby sitting .. you name it!
All the suggestions above are still active income generation. What would be ideal is to have income coming in passively with little or minimal effort. Consider setting aside a portion of the active income generation to fund investments to create passive income streams. Foundations are laid one brick at a time. “Sedikit-Sedikit, Lama-Lama Jadi Bukit”.
This article is prepared by Direct Lending Malaysia, an online personal bank & koperasi loan platform that aims to provide you with a faster, simpler and safer borrowing experience.